The Metropolitan Washington D.C. DBT Consortium™ is a group of independent DBT professionals who are committed to providing effective and professional Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) to youth and adults in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area.
We are a group of independent practitioners in the D.C. Metro area who provide Comprehensive DBT and meet periodically to consult with each other and enhance the services we provide. Our DBT therapists in each practice frequently treat clients when therapy has been ineffective in the past. The therapists in our DBT programs have experience and expertise working with clients who have engaged, or are currently engaging, in destructive behaviors and/or are experiencing emotional dysregulation.
We have deep respect and trust for each other and for the therapists in each practice, as:
- We have worked together collaboratively for over a decade
- We have provided DBT trainings together
- We consult with each other and have depended on each other when faced with professional challenges
- Each member is committed to the highest level of professionalism and ethics.
We are dedicated to providing high quality, state of the art DBT:
- Participate in in-house DBT consultation teams
- Have hundreds of hours of post graduate DBT training
- Have been intensively/extensively trained in DBT
- In some cases have achieved Linehan DBT Certification or are on the certification track
- Practice DBT and mindfulness skills in their every day life.
The Directors of these Comprehensive Programs are active, highly respected members of the International DBT community. They are in regular contact with the most respected DBT trainers and researchers throughout the world. They stay up to date on all the new developments in this growing evidenced based therapeutic method. They are also well known active participants in the state organizations in their respected professions. They have provided training for many of the counselors, social workers and psychologists in Maryland and the DC Metro area.
The Metro DBT Consortium™ members provide high quality professional training and consultation. Our trainers consistently receive outstanding feedback on evaluations. Trainings previously offered include:
- Using DBT to Understand and Treat Self-Injurious Behavior
- Introduction to DBT in Clinical Practice: Effective Skills You Can Use With Your Clients Today — Distress Tolerance Skills
- DBT for At-Risk Adolescents
- Assessment and Commitment Strategies in DBT
- DBT Telephone Coaching: Effective Use of A Critical Mode
- Skills Training in DBT: An Experiential Workshop
- Treatment of Emotion Dysregulation: DBT and the College Student
- Integrating DBT Philosophy and Skills Into Your Clinical Practice
- DBT Skills Training: Partnering With Parents to Help Children
- DBT for the Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder
- DBT Skills For Emotional and Behavioral Disorders in Children and Adolescents
We offer trainings at our location or yours, and can customize trainings to your specific needs.
We are committed to providing high quality DBT. Choosing a provider can be challenging, so we encourage you to take the time to educate yourself about the treatment and learn more about potential providers. In this spirit, we would like to provide the following information about what is true, evidence-based DBT.
DBT includes three clinical components: 1. Individual DBT, 2. DBT Skills Training, and 3. Phone Coaching as needed with the individual DBT therapist. Most often, clients attend one individual DBT appointment and one DBT Skills Group each week. For adolescents, parent skills training is an additional integral component of DBT.
In addition, DBT providers must meet weekly as part of a DBT Consultation team. Please ask potential therapists whether their program meets all of these requirements. Unfortunately, we have heard many stories of clients who believe they are receiving DBT adherent treatment and actually are receiving only a piece of the treatment.
Members of the DBT Metro Consortium are out of network providers. Some of our clients have obtained a Single Case Exception with their insurance companies to enable them to maximize their reimbursements. For more information about obtaining a single case agreement, click here.
Our practices are located in Rockville and Bethesda. To learn more about our practices or to schedule an appointment, please contact:
Judi Sprei, PhD